Monday, November 15, 2010

handmade jewelry return policies?

Last week I was contacted through my website from someone who bought my handmade earrings from a store in Olympia, Wa.    One of the earrings had broken and she was wondering what I could do to help.   I was surprised that she didn't to attempt return to the store that she bought the earring from...   I told her I would be happy to fix her earring for a small fee ($7- which included shipping back to her) or suggested she try going to the store perhaps they had a good return policy and I would then deal with the store.  These earrings had to have been bought long ago (though she said she has not had them "that long")  as I haven't shipped this kind of earring to that store in over a year.   Her response was this "I appreciate your reply, though it is somewhat unsatisfactory. I had hoped for a replacement or a free fix (I would have to pay shipping) Furthermore, I figured you would want to see the problem to alleviate future misfortunes.  The store is in Olympia and I am on the Peninsula...Lets keep the dialogue open?"  
I am incredibly annoyed that this woman assumes that my time and supplies are worth absolutely nothing.  But I cannot think of a polite way to respond to her and haven't as of yet.   She did not purchase from me, so why is she trying to return to me?  I don't want to upset a potential customer or potential other customers whom she will speak to but as I mentioned I am (well ok, let's escalate) infuriated.   I can only assume the store already refused the return.
Let's face it, things break sometimes, no matter the quality, but there has to be some sort of cap on timing, not to mention a charge to fix.   I am not Nordstrom, Kohls or some department store (who also may not accept such a thing back when not purchased from them), I am a handmade jewelry company. I am already struggling- why is this ok?  
I do accept returns when purchased from me (whether you are a store or a single customer), and also exchange things.  I have exchanged a necklace that the person didn't like the way it looked when they got home- for a ring.  They were perfectly happy.  I stand behind my work but somehow this just doesn't seem fair.  Does it to you?  These are the earrings:


sterling silver handmade square hoops

handmade jewelry every day- www.myfriendroze.com

2 comments:

  1. Some people will never be happy no matter what you do. Since she didn't buy from you she really should be handling the problem through the store. I think your response is more than reasonable. The fee will not even cover your time I'm sure.
    Some people are so hard on their jewelry and careless that if you do it for free they will just keep breaking it and sending it back to you rather than taking better care of the jewelry to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, call the store to find out if they know anything and to ensure that they are in the loop, as this is their customer.

    And, since you don't want to burn any bridges, and $7 is a small price to pay to keep one of YOUR customers (the store) happy, while they also get to keep their customer happy, I'd do the repair for free. I suspect everyone's good feelings about each other will pay off more than $7 in the long run.

    While you are creating all this good-feeling, you should also make sure to ask they store if they need to place an order.

    ReplyDelete