Tuesday, November 9, 2010

handmade jewelry- art or craft

The other day I was reading someone's blog who asked what is the difference between art and craft? This question hits very close to home for me, as I dated a man who considered what I do craft and not art, and therefore not worthy of any sort of admiration or time spent. I guess however that I find that even I, who went to art school, considers some of the things I do craft. I also think I might share some sense of snobbery when it comes to this BECAUSE I went to art school (and not for jewelry). But I do wonder where the line can be drawn or even if it should. There are people who add the word "art" to jewelry in order to distinguish themselves. But I wonder if they are distinguishing themselves from craft or as handmade from mass made items.
Below are a few examples of handmade jewelry that may blur the line:
meghan patrice riley

MaRĂ­a GoTi


Acceptance
Lynette Andreasen

1 comment:

  1. thanks roze! definitely something to think about. how can you have art without some type of craft? that's what it always comes back to for me.

    and here is another perspective:
    http://www.craftmba.com/2010/10/12/one-craft-an-open-letter-to-the-american-craft-council/

    ReplyDelete